Monday, October 29, 2007

Autumn Meadow Rug Ready for Green Mountain Show,Shelburne, VT

A- Autumn Meadow - (c) Sunnie Andress 2007
This rug (finished) is in the Green Mountain Rug Hooking Guild's Show at the Shelburne Museum in Vermont November 9th through the 18th, 2007.
I finished it the night before the submission deadline!!!
I am starting a group of rugs...The Sampler Memories Series... featuring the Shepherdess and her sheep. Inspired by old Frakturs and Samplers from the 1700-1800's, I am using fanciful motifs similar to those in the antiques but using them in my own way to make an original design. This rug is 29 by 42 inches and is my largest rug to date. It is all done in #5, #6 and #8 cut wools from various sources, some of my dyed wool and some wonderful as-is plaids!
This rug follows my method of the "unplanned rug", as I design the pattern first and only decide upon one or two colours to start! I choose either a "dark" or "light" background (it doesn't matter what the colours are!) and begin the rug with only a vague idea of where my colour experiments will take me. This is a really fun part of the whole process for me. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun if I colour-planned my rugs before I started!!! I like to be surprised!!!
I am now working on B- Bountiful Harvest, featuring a Shepherdess and her sheep sitting under a large "apple" tree just bursting with "fruit" for the picking. A friendly chicken looking on and a shy deer wanting to share the apples will complete this picture. I already have part of the design for "C" in my head and the design for "T" as well! I can hardly wait to start on those!
But must continue work on my Santas for my Vermont Hand Crafters Show!!!
Happy Autumn-into-Winter!

4 comments:

Jacque. said...

Sunnie...I absolutely LOVE these 2 rugs...so FUN are they! Looking forward to seeing your sampler series. Keep up the good work!

Suzanne said...

Oh My! I've missed several posts! Love these rugs...and all of your designs Sunnie!

Mary Stanley said...

What wonderful rugs!I hope they do another book of the Vermont rug hooking show. Love your work!
Mary

Sunnie said...

Thank you Jacque, Suzanne and Mary for the kind words!!! I had such fun doing these rugs!!!
Hugs to you, Sunnie : )