Monday, July 2, 2007

Brrr...Cold Monday!

Rugosa roses
I love these roses...they only bloom for about 15 minutes - LOL - and then the petals fall, but they have a lovely scent and look so pretty while they're blooming!
We had to turn on the heat yesterday...can't believe that July 1st we're having such cold weather! It's cold today too!!!
Lana, from Honeysuckle Lane's Simple Joys mentioned, in her nice comment, that I had used family associations in hooking my -Granny's Old Blue Vase- rug. I wanted to talk about that because I love to think about family, friends and special memories as I hook and design. I think many of us do!
I tell myself little stories about the rugs I hook and each one is personal. I also decide on the presentation of each rug, that is, my feelings that I want to present to the viewer. Of course, each person who sees the rug has his/her own reaction...but I like to think about what I am offering to the viewer and why I want it to be that way.
My customers and students seem to like to know what I am thinking when I create a rug and I am happy to share the stories. It makes for a very personal touch to an art or craft creation that passes from the artist's hands, heart and mind to the heart and mind of the person who becomes it's owner. I hope each of my rugs brings as much joy to the new owner as creating it brings to me.

2 comments:

Jacque. said...

Sunnie...I LOVE that you make up stories about each of your rugs. I know a few other rug hookers who do that and I believe that it adds a special touch/feel to the rug. Way to go!

Lana Manis said...

Dear Sunnie ~ That is evident in your work ~ you put your heart and soul into it and that makes it priceless!

Lana