Saturday, April 28, 2007

Rug Hooker's Hint for Today!




An illustration of a background using 12 to 14 different colours of wool!

I love working with many colours of wool. I believe the backgrounds have a richness and interest not seen in a flat, one-colour-background. Of course, the background should be appropriate to the rug design and the cut of wool. After all, it is a -background-and not the dominate feature of the rug! LOL
You might want to try a primitive background using this technique and see how you like it.
Also, do you see that I let the red on the large flower blend into the background instead of outlining it in a more contrasting colour? As I've said, I like the look of old painted furniture that has darkened and faded over time and this more undefined technique gives that look.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice rug background but the spelling is color not colour.

You are in the USA.

Rita