Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rug Hooking Hint for Today2


If you are not fond of red dot tracer or net, etc. for transferring patterns to your backing material, perhaps you would like to use a light table. I prefer this method and, at first, used a round patio table with a glass top that I happened to have. I placed a couple of small lamps under the table and it worked just fine for small rugs or chair pads.
However, it was not very useful for tracing the larger rug designs.


I have 2 inexpensive rectangular dining tables in my studio and was walking by one last month when it suddenly struck me that I could turn one into a larger light table. I purchased a piece of clear acrylic sheeting a bit smaller than the table top and asked my husband to cut out the top of the table to accomodate the acrylic. We did this and it works perfectly! I use one small accent lamp under the table at one end and an inexpensive clip-on light under the other end.


I have heard of other hookers replacing the leaf in a dining table with a piece of tempered glass or acrylic sheeting and putting a lamp underneath!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. Enjoyed the pictures of the rugs and the practical tips about making a light table. Your lucky to have a husband who is a "handy-person".

Tammy Burks said...

What a great idea for the light table. I did sell patterns for a while, but decided I just didn't like tracing, tracing, tracing....left me feeling a bit dead. I'm so joyful that there are so many out there who offer wonderful patterns to sell!
Tammy