Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday's Child!


Strong Women rug copyright sunnie andress 2006
We are thankful for the pleasant weather and today was no exception! I was able to work on the Fraktur Angel Floral rug today and it looks like it will be finished by the weekend. Hooray!


I have been using the quarter background method I spoke about for this background as I was not sure how many deep red-orange-brown tones of wool I had. It looks like I will have enough and will not have to add another wool in my open spaces. I love hooking this way as I never have any anxiety about running out of background wool! Since hooking is such a peaceful pastime, anything that stresses you out is counter-productive!




My rug designs, colours and hooking style have changed over these last three years. I really like creating the vision of an old piece of painted wood that has darkened and faded over time, translating paint into the softness of wool. I am fortunate to be able to live a very tranquil life, with the time to create these works of folk art. Rug hooking is a simple craft to learn but it has such possibilities! When I study the antique images, I feel like I'm held in the memories of times past...and it gives me great joy.




No comments: